Carsten K.W. De Dreu is full professor at the University of Amsterdam, Department of Psychology (since 1998) and (starting in 2015) Center for Experimental Economics and Political Decision Making (CREED). He is an elected fellow of several learned societies, including the Association for Psychological Science, and the Royal Netherlands Academy of Sciences, and is a former president of the International Association for Conflict Management, and the European Association for Social Psychology. His scientific research and teaching focuses on the neurobiological and psychological underpinnings of cooperative decision making, conflict regulation, and group decision making. On these and related topics he published widely in scientific journals such as Science, Proceedings National Academy of Sciences, Psychological Bulletin, Journal of Applied Psychology, and Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. For his work he received several awards, including most influential article awards from the Academy of Management (2009, 2010), the William Owens Scholarly Achievement Award from the Society of Industrial and Organizational Psychology (2014), and the 2014 Kurt Lewin Medal for mid-career achievements in social psychology from the European Association of Social Psychology. De Dreu attracted over 4M€ in external research funding, and supervised 8 postdoctoral and 29 PhD students.
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- Baas, M., De Dreu, C. K. W., & Nijstad, B. A. (2008). A meta-analysis of 25 years of research on mood and creativity: Hedonic tone, activation, or regulatory focus? Psychological Bulletin, 134, 779-806.
- Bechtoldt, M. N., De Dreu, C. K. W., Nijstad, B. A., & Choi, H-S. (2010). Motivated information processing, epistemic social tuning, and group creativity. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 99, 622-637
- De Dreu, C. K. W. (2007). Cooperative outcome interdependence, task reflexivity and team effectiveness: A motivated information processing approach. Journal of Applied Psychology, 92, 628-638.
- De Dreu, C. K. W., Baas, M., & Nijstad, B. A. (2008). Hedonic tone and activation in the mood-creativity link: Towards a dual pathway to creativity model. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 94, 739-756.
- De Dreu, C. K. W., Beersma, B., Stroebe, K., & Euwema, M. C. (2006). Motivated information processing, strategic choice, and the quality of negotiated agreement. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 90, 927-943.
- De Dreu, C. K. W., Greer, L. L., Handgraaf. M. J. J., Shalvi, S., Van Kleef, G. A., Baas, M., Ten Velden, F. S., Van Dijk, E., & Feith, S. W. W. (2010). The neuropeptide oxytocin regulates parochial altruism in intergroup conflict among humans. Science, 328, 1408-1411.
- De Dreu, C. K. W., Greer, L. L., Van Kleef, G. A., Shalvi, S., & Handgraaf, M. J. J. (2011). Oxytocin promotes human ethnocentrism. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA, 108.
- De Dreu, C. K. W., & Nijstad, B. A. (2008). Conflict and creativity: Threat-rigidity or motivated focus? Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 95, 648-661.
- De Dreu, C. K. W., Nijstad, B. A., & Van Knippenberg, D. (2008). Motivated information processing in group judgment and decision making. Personality and Social Psychology Review, 12, 22-49.
- De Dreu, C. K. W., & Van Knippenberg, D. (2005). The possessive self as a barrier to constructive conflict management: Effects of mere ownership, process accountability, and self-concept clarity on competitive cognitions and behavior. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 89, 345-357.
- De Dreu, C. K. W., & Weingart, L. R. (2003). Task versus relationship conflict and team effectiveness: A meta-analysis. Journal of Applied Psychology, 88, 741-749.
- De Dreu, C. K. W., Weingart, L. R., & Kwon, S. (2000). Influence of social motives on integrative negotiation: A meta-analytical review and test of two theories. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 78, 889-905.
- Steinel, W., & De Dreu, C. K. W. (2004). Social motives and strategic misrepresentation in social decision making. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 86, 419-434.
- Van Kleef, G. A., De Dreu, C. K. W., & Manstead, A. S. R. (2006). Supplication and appeasement in conflict and negotiation: The interpersonal effects of disappointment, worry, guilt and regret. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 91, 124-142.
- Van Kleef, G. A., De Dreu, C. K. W., & Manstead, A. S. R. (2004). The interpersonal effects of anger and happiness in negotiations. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 86, 57-76.
- De Dreu, C. K. W. (2010). Social conflict: The emergence and consequences of struggle and negotiation. In S. T. Fiske, D. T Gilbert, & G. Lindzey (Eds.), Handbook of Social Psychology (5th ed.). New York: Wiley.
- De Dreu, C. K. W., & Carnevale, P. J. D. (2003). Motivational bases for information processing and strategic choice in conflict and negotiation. In M.P. Zanna (Ed.), Advances in Experimental Social Psychology (Vol. 35, pp. 235 -291). New York: Academic Press.
- Creativity and Innovation
- Social Decision Making
Carsten De Dreu
Department of Psychology
University of Amsterdam
1018 XA Amsterdam
- Phone: +31 20 525 6865
- Fax: +31 20 639 0531