My research concerns group processes and performance, in laboratory as well as organizational settings. Some of my work deals with negotiation as a way of managing interpersonal and small group conflict, and has examined the motivational bases of information processing, and the strategic choices negotiators make. Other research has examined the effects of epistemic and social motives on information dissemination and the quality of decision making in groups. A third line of work deals with the role of neurobiological and hormonal (e.g. oxytocin, testosterone) modulators in intergroup competition and conflict. Finally, I conduct research into the psychological foundations of creativity and innovation both at the individual and small group level.
I have been president of the International Association for Conflict Management (2001 - 2003), and served as associate editor for the Journal of Organizational Behavior (2002 - 2004), and for Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin (2005 -- 2008). I'm president of the European Association for Social Psychology (2008 - 2011) and Associate Editor for Journal of Personality and Social Psychology (2011 - 2013).
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- Baas, M., De Dreu, C. K. W., & Nijstad, B. A. (2008). A meta-analysis of 25 years of research on mood and creativity: Hedonic tone, activation, or regulatory focus? Psychological Bulletin, 134, 779-806.
- Bechtoldt, M. N., De Dreu, C. K. W., Nijstad, B. A., & Choi, H-S. (2010). Motivated information processing, epistemic social tuning, and group creativity. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 99, 622-637
- De Dreu, C. K. W. (2007). Cooperative outcome interdependence, task reflexivity and team effectiveness: A motivated information processing approach. Journal of Applied Psychology, 92, 628-638.
- De Dreu, C. K. W., Baas, M., & Nijstad, B. A. (2008). Hedonic tone and activation in the mood-creativity link: Towards a dual pathway to creativity model. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 94, 739-756.
- De Dreu, C. K. W., Beersma, B., Stroebe, K., & Euwema, M. C. (2006). Motivated information processing, strategic choice, and the quality of negotiated agreement. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 90, 927-943.
- De Dreu, C. K. W., Greer, L. L., Handgraaf. M. J. J., Shalvi, S., Van Kleef, G. A., Baas, M., Ten Velden, F. S., Van Dijk, E., & Feith, S. W. W. (2010). The neuropeptide oxytocin regulates parochial altruism in intergroup conflict among humans. Science, 328, 1408-1411.
- De Dreu, C. K. W., Greer, L. L., Van Kleef, G. A., Shalvi, S., & Handgraaf, M. J. J. (2011). Oxytocin promotes human ethnocentrism. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA, 108.
- De Dreu, C. K. W., & Nijstad, B. A. (2008). Conflict and creativity: Threat-rigidity or motivated focus? Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 95, 648-661.
- De Dreu, C. K. W., Nijstad, B. A., & Van Knippenberg, D. (2008). Motivated information processing in group judgment and decision making. Personality and Social Psychology Review, 12, 22-49.
- De Dreu, C. K. W., & Van Knippenberg, D. (2005). The possessive self as a barrier to constructive conflict management: Effects of mere ownership, process accountability, and self-concept clarity on competitive cognitions and behavior. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 89, 345-357.
- De Dreu, C. K. W., & Weingart, L. R. (2003). Task versus relationship conflict and team effectiveness: A meta-analysis. Journal of Applied Psychology, 88, 741-749.
- De Dreu, C. K. W., Weingart, L. R., & Kwon, S. (2000). Influence of social motives on integrative negotiation: A meta-analytical review and test of two theories. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 78, 889-905.
- Steinel, W., & De Dreu, C. K. W. (2004). Social motives and strategic misrepresentation in social decision making. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 86, 419-434.
- Van Kleef, G. A., De Dreu, C. K. W., & Manstead, A. S. R. (2006). Supplication and appeasement in conflict and negotiation: The interpersonal effects of disappointment, worry, guilt and regret. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 91, 124-142.
- Van Kleef, G. A., De Dreu, C. K. W., & Manstead, A. S. R. (2004). The interpersonal effects of anger and happiness in negotiations. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 86, 57-76.
- De Dreu, C. K. W. (2010). Social conflict: The emergence and consequences of struggle and negotiation. In S. T. Fiske, D. T Gilbert, & G. Lindzey (Eds.), Handbook of Social Psychology (5th ed.). New York: Wiley.
- De Dreu, C. K. W., & Carnevale, P. J. D. (2003). Motivational bases for information processing and strategic choice in conflict and negotiation. In M.P. Zanna (Ed.), Advances in Experimental Social Psychology (Vol. 35, pp. 235 -291). New York: Academic Press.
- Creativity and Innovation
- Social Decision Making
Carsten De Dreu
Department of Psychology
University of Amsterdam
1018 WB Amsterdam
- Phone: +31 20 525 6865
- Fax: +31 20 639 0531